It is with a deep sense of honor that I take on the role as President of MSOHNS the Society has entrusted on me. I am also blessed with an Executive Committee of great calibre and talent.
We stand on the shoulders of giants who are our teachers and past leaders of the Society. It is their legacy and the direction they have provided that we aspire to uphold and continue. They have challenged us to new heights and empowered us to achieve them as well.
It is on their shoulders that I look into the future and identify key challenges that face our fraternity – a critical lack of public and healthcare provider awareness in head and neck cancers, the ever growing epidemic of the life-threatening airway disease of obstructive sleep apnea. We are in an opportune position as experts in the field to push the boundaries of our abilities, synergise with other healthcare providers, advise policy makers, and reach out to the community in the area of ENT healthcare needs.
I believe they are worthy causes for us in the year ahead
– To educate every Malaysian in knowing, preventing and detecting Head and Neck cancers early,
– To defend the livelihood of our workforce suffocated by OSA,
– To advise lawmakers on the gravity of these public health problems,
– To continue developing ourselves to provide the best evidence-based patient-centred care, and
– To create smart partnerships with frontline Primary Care Physicians.
It is with these goals that we have embarked this year on the following projects:
1) Nationwide Primary Care Updates in ENT for Doctors
2) Nationwide Public Awareness Campaign on Head & Neck Cancers
3) Consensus Statement on the Management of Dizziness
4) Consensus Statement on the Management of Adult OSA
5) The 1st ASEAN SLEEP CONGRESS
6) Cutting edge CME programs in ENT
I humbly call on you to join me in the days ahead as One Society, to do what only we can do as champions of healthcare needs of the ear, nose, and throat. Together let us listen to the needs of the people, breathe new life into the fraternity and be the voice of transformation for a better tomorrow.
Dr Yap Yoke Yeow
President MSO-HNS 2011-2012